The County of Winona is providing funding and instructional guidance for residential property owners who would like to install a demonstration rain garden. A 50% cost-share grant, up to a maximum of $250, will be available for award to five residents living in Winona County, outside the City of Winona. The rain gardens must be visible to passersby and serve as a resource to promote rain gardens within the community. Grant applications will be accepted beginning October 15, 2017. Applicants must develop a garden plan and sign an agreement to complete the project. The rain garden must be maintained for a minimum of 5 years, with periodic review by project staff. A selection committee will award grants based on site location, amount of runoff to be reduced and public visibility of the garden.
- Garden site is located outside the City of Winona, on a residential parcel
- The project budget is reasonable and the rain garden is installed during the growing season immediately following award of the grant.
- The garden will be dominated by hardy perennial plants (native plants highly recommended).
Click HERE for additional resources on rain gardens including steps for planning and installing.
Winona County Rain Gardens 2017 Application
- Labor and equipment costs
- Native perennial plants, seeds, or live stakes
- Materials to connect the impervious area to rain garden
- Shredded wood mulch
- Soil amendments that increase infiltration capacity