Prosecutors are ministers of justice. Therefore, it is our responsibility to help people who have paid their debt to society to get court review of a criminal record and the barriers it creates to accessing jobs, housing, education and financial qualifications. We are pleased to partner with the Hennepin County Attorney's Office, Ramsey County Attorney's Office, Washington County Attorney's Office, and Minnesota Attorney General's Office to ensure our residents have access to justice after they have completed their sentence by helping people seal their criminal records.

Is your criminal record a barrier in your life?
We may be able to help you get it sealed.
If you have a criminal record for an offense that was prosecuted by the Winona County Attorney's Office, we can help you determine if you qualify for expungement. If you qualify, we can help you get your record sealed by the Court at no cost to you.
Sealing, or expunging, a criminal record can make it easier for you to obtain housing, get a job, and certain types of job-related licenses.

What criminal records can be sealed?
Eligibility is limited to offenses that appear in the Minnesota Expungement Statute. Below are some of the most common eligible offenses:
  • Fifth degree drug possession or sale
  • Theft
  • Receiving stolen property
  • Damage to property
  • Forgery crimes
  • Issuing a dishonored check
  • Financial transaction card fraud
  • Mail theft
View a complete list of eligible offenses.

Waiting Periods
Most criminal records have a waiting period before the Court can grant an expungement. In order to qualify, you must remain crime-free during the waiting period. In most cases, the waiting period starts when you are discharged from probation. A new offense can extend the waiting period or disqualify you from eligibility.

The waiting period can vary from zero to five years or more. For example, if you received a stay of adjudication or participated in diversion, you may be eligible one year after completing your agreed-upon terms. If your entire felony case was dismissed, or you were acquitted by the Court or a jury, you may be eligible without a waiting period.

How do I apply to have my criminal record sealed?
Apply by clicking the link on the right side of this page. The information you provide will be used to determine if you qualify. If it appears you qualify, we will contact you to request additional information. If you do not qualify, we will contact you to explain why you are not currently eligble.
 Apply Here

Apply to Have Your Criminal Record Sealed

 Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

 Do-It-Yourself Resources

Minnesota Court Self-Help Center

 Community-Based Assistance

SMRLS (Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services)

Volunteer Lawyers Network