Frequently Asked Questions
1.  How do I get a copy of a report?
We do not automatically mail out copies of reports. Copies of accident    reports, arrests and other incidents handled by the Sheriff’s Office are available for release either by contacting the Records Division at (507) 457-6368 or by sending a written request to 201 W. 3rd St, Winona, MN, 55987.
2.  What kind of information cannot be released?
Any report marked "Confidential", any juvenile reports and/or juvenile names, Human Services reports, anything involving vulnerable adults, victims' names and any report currently under investigation, or where the release of said report might jeopardize the safety and welfare of the people involved.
3.  I disagree with what the officer wrote in his report regarding a complaint.  What do I do now?
You need to discuss it with the officer involved in your case.  Most often, an officer will give you a business card with the department telephone number  and your incident number (ICR) on it.  If not, call the main reception area at (507) 457-6368.
4.  Where do I go to get a gun permit?
If you want a permit to carry, see the receptionist at the Sheriff's Office or click here.
If you want a permit to purchase, and are a resident of the City of St. Charles, Lewiston, Goodview and Winona, they handle their own.  If you live in any other part of Winona County, the forms are available from the receptionist at the Sheriff's Office or click here.

5.  How do I get a copy of my driving record?
This information is now supplied by the DVS according to US Code Title 18 Section 2721. Click here for the necessary form.
6.  I need a records check for adoption/passport/visa.
Simply mail or bring your forms to our receptionist.  There is a $5.00 fee for this service.  A notary is also available free of charge to Winona County residents, if required.
7.  Where can I get information on mortgage foreclosures?
Contact our Civil Division at (507) 457-6358.  Click here to view foreclosure sales.
8.  How do I have papers served?
Contact our Civil Division at (507) 457-6358.
9.  Where can I get information on restraining orders and orders for protection?
The Civil Division serves these papers but the process is initiated through Court Administration (507) 457-6385.
10.  I received a ticket.  How do I find out how much the fine is?  Where do I go to pay for my ticket?  Can I mail in my fine?
All these questions can be answered by contacting Winona County Court Administration at (507) 457-6385.  All fines for citations are paid through Court Administration.
11.  Where do I go to post bail or satisfy a warrant?
Come to the reception area of the Sheriff's office.
12.  Where do I go to have my fingerprints taken?
Fingerprinting is done in the jail at the Law Enforcement Center on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  You need to schedule an appointment by calling (507) 457-6503.  There is a $10.00 cash fee per card for this service.
13.  Where do I go about a bad check?
The Winona County Sheriff's Department bad check policy is available from the receptionist at 201 W. 3rd St, Winona, MN or by clicking on bad check form
14.  What is VINE-Victim Information and Notification Everyday?
The Minnesota VINE system is a service through which victims of crime can use the telephone or Internet to search for information regarding the custody status of their offender and to register to receive telephone and e-mail notification when the offender’s custody status changes. The VINE toll-free number for the Minnesota VINE system is (877) MN4-VINE or (877) 664-8463. This service is provided to assist Victims of Crime who have a right to know about their offender’s custody status.