Frequently Asked Questions

Where are you located?

202 W 3rd Street, Winona MN 55987. Go to Locations Hours and Maps for directions and maps to our building.

How much does it cost to record a document?
Please see Fee Schedule

How do I obtain a birth, death, or marriage certificate?
These can be obtained through our Vital Records Office, located at
202 W 3rd Street, Winona, MN55987, 507-457-6395.

What is an abstract property?
An abstract title is the most common recording in Winona County. When property is sold or mortgaged the lending institution or new owner wants to be sure the title is clear.  If the title isn’t clear the lending institution may not be able to foreclose, if need be.  An attorney or title insurance firm is hired to review the abstract.

The abstract of title is a “book” of all deeds, mortgages, and other documents relating to a particular piece of land, which affect the title. These documents include recordings in the County Recorder’s Office, tax records in the County Auditor’s Office and judgments in the District Court. This information is complied in an abstract or title report by an abstract company. Ownership of an abstract property depends on a continuous 40 year chin of title, so every deed during the last 40 years must be reviewed and each mortgage must be matched with a satisfaction or release in order to determine if anyone, other than the deed owner(s) has a claim to a specific property.

A “Title Opinion” concludes who owns the land and what liens or encumbrances are still valid and in force.  An “Owners & Encumbrance Report” (O & E) is a report listing current owners and open mortgages or liens.  An O & E does not state the title is clear or if the mortgages are valid and in force.  An O & E can be obtained from an abstractor.

What is a torrens property?
Torrens is an alternative method of indexing land ownership in Minnesota. In contrast to abstract property, the ownership of Torrens property is conclusively established by the creation of a Certificate of Title. Each time a property is voluntarily transferred by the owner, a new Certificate of Title is created, and only information currently relevant to title is shown. If the land is transferred involuntarily (for example, by mortgage foreclosure), either the district court or the County Recorder reviews the transfer to make certain the new certificate of title may be created.