Frequently Asked Questions

Where do I pay my taxes?

Winona County Office Building, 202 W 3rd Street, Winona. Auditor-Treasurer Office.

There is a deposit slot on the front of the exterior of the building to the right of the entry doors.  During business hours from  8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, there is a drop box on the counter in the Auditor-Treasurer Office where you may deposit tax payments.

The deposit slot and the drop box are closed after each tax due date.  Penalties will be added the day after taxes are due.  Please see the back of your tax statement to see the schedule and rates.

Where do I mail my tax payment?

Winona County Auditor-Treasurer's Office
202 W 3rd Street, Winona MN 55987

When are taxes due?

May 15th (first half) and October 15th (second half) for real estate taxes.
May 15th (first half) and November 15th (second half) for agricultural taxes.
August 31st (first half) and November 15th (second half) for mobile home taxes.

Can I pay my taxes by credit card?

Yes, it is available: Click here

Am I eligible for any refunds?

You may be eligible for a Property Tax Refund. You must complete form M1PR. The forms are available in our office or you may call the State of Minnesota at (651) 296-4444 or (800) 657-3676.

Download forms and other tax-related information from this website:

I am going to move my mobile home to another location; do I need any clearance from the County?

Yes, you need a mobile home statement from the County, which states all delinquent and current taxes are paid in full. Please contact the County Auditor-Treasurer at (507) 457-8830.

I just purchased a piece of property, who is responsible for the taxes?

In a typical real estate transaction, taxes are prorated and the buyer is given credit for the seller portion. Please check your closing statement or contact the realtor or attorney who handled the transaction for you. Any delinquent taxes must be paid at closing but the current taxes do not have to be. To avoid any penalty the taxes must be paid May 15th and October 15th. Please contact the County Auditor-Treasurer at (507) 457-8830 for status of the taxes.

What happens if my taxes are not paid by the due date?

You must pay a penalty. Due dates are May 15th, October 15th, and November 15th. Penalty starts to accrue the following day. Please contact the County Auditor-Treasurer for correct amount.

What should I do with the tax statement on a home or property I recently sold?

Please forward it on to the new owners, as they will need it to pay real estate taxes.

I thought my mortgage company paid my taxes?

If your mortgage company is to pay the taxes, they will contact us and you will see on your statement an escrow number on the top and on the stubs. Also, a statement stating that the mortgage company will be paying the taxes. Do not send your statement to the mortgage company; they are informed of your taxes by file or printout.

How do I change my address for my tax statement?

On the back side of your payment stubs, you may give us the new address. Also, you may e-mail, phone our office or drop us a line. E-mail, phone: (507) 457-8830 or mail to: Winona County Auditor-Treasurer, 202 W 3rd St. Winona MN 55987.