Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have a County Commissioner?
Yes, every citizen of Winona County has a County Commissioner assigned to designated districts.

How do I contact my County Commissioner?
Simply click on the Commissioners listing to find the correct phone, address, and email address for each County Commissioner.

When is the next County Board Meeting?
County Board Meetings are held in January at 9:00 AM on the first and second Tuesday of the month and at 7:00 PM on the fourth Tuesday of the month.  In the months of February through December, County Board Meetings are held at 9:00 AM on the second Tuesday of each month and at 7:00 PM on the fourth Tuesday of each month. 

How do I know what is on the next County Board Agenda?
Simply click on the Winona County Board Agenda Packet link on the bottom of the homepage to find the agenda packet for the next meeting, this lists the topics that will be addressed at the upcoming Board meeting. Agendas for the earlier meetings of the current year are also available if you desire to know what topics the Board has discussed at previous meetings.

Where can I find minutes from County Board Meetings?
Simply click on the Agendas & Minutes link on the homepage to find the listing of County Board Meeting minutes. The minutes are listed by month and year going back to 2002.

How do I get an item on the Board Agenda?
Members of the public who wish to bring an item to the County Board for discussion or action should first request staff action from the department which would normally deal with the issue. For example if a member of the public wishes to discuss increasing or reducing the definition of animal units in conjunction with feedlots, he/she should first direct their request to the Planning Department for action. Staff will then take appropriate action which may include Board action when necessary. If you do not know which department would handle an issue, please contact the County Administrator for additional help.

What is the difference between the Cities and the County?
The County encompasses all of the incorporated and unincorporated areas of Winona County.

Where does the county rank in population size within the state?
There are 17 counties within Minnesota that have more citizens than Winona County.

What are examples of City and County collaboration?
Winona County and the City of Winona have a joint Law Enforcement Center and share records and dispatch functions. Additionally, the City and County share Emergency Management. There is also collaboration outside of the City of Winona.

If I live in the city can I vote for County Officials?
Yes, every resident of Winona County can vote for County Officials.

Where can I get a certificate of marriage, birth, or death?
The County Vital Records Office handles all of these documents. They are located in the Winona County Office Building (202 W 3rd Street).

Whom would I call for animal control?
The cities have animal control and they will also do the licensing of animals.

I want to open a food establishment, so who would I get a license from?
The Winona County Environmental Health department does all licensing of food establishments and all the inspections.

Can I take my driving test at the County Office Building?
No. Testing needs to be done at a State office, located in the Kensington, 157 West 3rd St. The County License Center can do renewals, name or address changes, and duplicates.

Whom would I ask to find out about liens on a property or the sale amount?
The County Recorders Office will have this information.

I need to pay a court fine, where do I go?
Fines can be paid at Court Administration, which is on the 2nd floor of the Courthouse.

I need to dispose of some used oil and some other hazardous materials; where would I take this?
It can be taken to the Household Hazardous Waste facility, located at 225 W. 2nd Street, Winona.

Who and how was the estimated market value figured on my property?
The County Assessors Office does this and they base it on similar properties in the area.

Where can my child get shots?
The Community Health department offers this service. They are located at 202 West 3rd Street.

Where can I pay my parking ticket?
The City Police Department takes care of the parking tickets. They are located on the 2nd floor of the Law Enforcement Center (201 West 3rd Street).

Where can I pay my property taxes?
The County Treasurer is the place to go and pay property taxes. They are located on the main floor of the Winona County Office Building (202 W 3rd Street).
You may also pay or view your taxes online here.

Where can I get an application for a passport?
Winona County no longer provides passport services.

Where would I go for an accident report?
Go to the Law Enforcement Center, which is located at 201 West 3rd Street.

How do I rent a spot at Farmer’s Community Park?
Reservations can be made online here.
If you have questions, contact the Extension office at (507) 457-6440.

Where can I obtain Veterans Services?
The Veterans Service office can answer your questions and help with other Veteran’s services. They are located in the Plaza Square Building (202 West 3rd Street).