Hazardous Waste Facility
The Household Hazardous Waste Facility located at 225 W 2nd Street in Winona is open (Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm except holidays. For questions or concerns, please call 507-457-6462.
Household Hazardous Wastes are unused or unwanted products that can pose an environmental threat when disposed of improperly.
Read the Label
Reading the product label can help you identify the hazard. Look for these "signal words" on the label:
- Caution: Less hazardous
- Warning: Moderately hazardous
- Poison: Highly toxic
- Danger: Extreme hazard
Do not mix household chemicals together! Especially do not mix bleach with any other household cleaners. Toxic gases form when cleaners are combined.
- Buy only what you need! By purchasing smaller quantities, you'll be less likely to have leftovers and a disposal problem.
- When painting, you can save money and reduce waste by buying the right amount! Try this printable chart to determine how much you need for your project.
- Use it up! If you can't use it up, give it to someone else who can.
- Use less hazardous alternatives. If there is no alternative, look for products with labels that say "caution" or "warning".
Selling your home or planning a move? Remember to use the Household Hazardous Waste Facility when cleaning out your basement or garage.
Winona County Environmental Services is now on Facebook! Become a fan of the department and receive up-to-the-minute information right to your mobile device or desktop. Join us today!